There is nothing better than a nice cup of hot cocoa after spending some time playing outside in a cold winter day. Because of this we have always kept the powdered mix on hand for the kids. With the Only From Scratch we have going on, the mix seems to be a big no-no. After some poking around, there isn’t much to making from scratch.
For serving, we topped the cocoa with fresh whipped cream and shaved chocolate. It was proclaimed that it was better than any packet could ever be. I would suggest that you not cut the recipe in half. It holds really well in the refrigerator for up four days. Pay attention to the dates on your milk and cream, that will affect how long it will last in the fridge.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the sugar, cocoa, and salt together in a 3qt pot
- Add water and mix thoroughly
- Once simmering, cook for two minutes
- Pour in milk/cream and cook until it reaches desired temperature - do not boil!
- Add vanilla and whisk until foamy