One of the challenges when you start baking your own bread is that you sometimes end up with bread that isn’t going to get eaten and is about to go completely stale. This is where this french toast recipe comes in. All you need is eggs, milk and your favorite flavorings.
Growing up, my mother would always add cinnamon to the french toast mixture. In Kelly’s house, her mother always added vanilla extract. In our house, we use both. It creates a nice subtle vanilla flavor with spicy hints of cinnamon.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk - for a richer flavor use 1/4c milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Slices of nearly stale bread
- Whisk together the egg, milk/cream, vanilla and cinnamon
- Place slices of bread into wet mixture and let soak on both sides
- Cook hot buttered pan on both sides - I prefer my iron skillet for this
- Top with butter and syrup or powdered sugar